Saturday, October 8, 2011

Names

     It is interesting to see where our names come from.  Many mothers use their maiden name as a first or middle name for a child.  The father's name is often used with another name; sometimes both names used and the child becomes a Jr. or II.

     On one family tree, cousin Elva's name  is from great Aunt Elva Jane, Agnes Vivian is from her Aunt Zola Vivian, and Uncle Rupert is from his Uncle Rupert Edwin.  Elbert's first name is from his father, Cecil Elbert Turner, and his name from George Elbert Light, an uncle born in 1880.  There was Iowa Catherine Vipperman Light (Elbert's great grandmother).  Everyone called her "Catty".  I like Iowa.  My daughter's name is Aleta Ellen--my middle name is Ellen, from grandmother Martha Ellen Turner Hollandsworth and her mother Sarah Ellen Martin Turner.  Aleta's daughter is Chloe Jean-Ellen Wood--both of her grandmothers' middle names.

     Aleta's name came from the Sunday comics--Prince Valiant.  His wife is called Queen Aleta--a beautiful blonde--reminds me of my daughter.  I was named for the daughter of one of the founders of Bassett Furniture Company.  My mother said she thought Avis was a pretty name and she was a pretty woman.  It is easy to help people remember my name when I say:  "Just like the car company, Avis Rent-a-Car--I'm #2, but I try harder".  Not long ago I heard on the news, that Hertz had dropped from #1 to #2--Enterprise Car Rental is now #1, and Avis, #3.  Oh well, I'm still trying--hard as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment